Italian Chopped Salad – Sharon Palmer, The Plant Powered Dietitian2 min read
Packed with crunchy, colorful vegetables and a fresh vinaigrette, Italian chopped salads are just so good! They tend to include simple ingredients, such as Romaine lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and olives. While many classic chopped salad recipes include meat and cheese, this vegan Italian Chopped Salad recipe adds chickpeas to those veggies for a protein-rich hearty addition.
The light Italian vinaigrette, with a simple touch of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and oregano, provides just the right balance to this super simple salad recipe, which is rustic and easy enough for a weeknight meal, but special enough for your holiday table. You can also swap out ingredients as desired—trade out the jicama for radishes or bell pepper, for example. And try following the seasons for this salad recipe, switching out seasonal ingredients as they become available. Such as snow peas or asparagus in the spring and carrots or radishes in the winter. This easy recipe will soon be your go-to salad of the year.
This easy vegan Italian Chopped Salad is bright, crunchy, and packed with good taste and nutrition.
- ½ head Romaine lettuce, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups red cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup peeled, diced jicama
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, with peel, diced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- ½ cup sliced green olives
- 1 (15-ounce) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Add lettuce, cabbage, jicama, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, green olives, and chickpeas to a large salad bowl and gently toss.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle over the salad and gently toss.
- Serve immediately. Makes 8 servings (1 ½ cups each).
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
Keywords: italian chopped salad, chopped salad
For other vegan salad recipes, check out:
Spicy Sorghum Salad with Avocado
Arugula Salad with Tomatoes
Grilled Tofu and Corn Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.