The product is formulated to target a spectrum of performance factors for endurance athletes and adventurers, including energy metabolism, muscle recovery, antioxidant activity, digestive health, immune and brain support.
Kim Horneck, Director of Marketing at Standard Process, told NutraIngredients-USA that the product is an adaptation of the “Colin Bar”, which Standard Process developed for ten-time world record holder Colin O’Brady, a world-renowned athlete, top speaker, and New York Times bestselling author.
“Colin completed the first solo, unsupported and human-powered crossing of Antarctica – a globally recognized project called “The Impossible First” – fueled by a custom nutrition bar developed by Standard Process, nicknamed the “Colin Bar”,” explained Horneck.
“This food source was O’Brady’s primary nutrition in the harshest environment on the planet, enabling him to survive for 54 days alone, covering 932 miles, pulling a 375-pound sled across the landmass of Antarctica.
“Standard Process developed a similar nutrition bar for O’Brady’s world first crossing of Drake Passage, during which he, along with a team of five others, rowed a boat across the most dangerous ocean passage in the world, as well as for some of his other adventures.
“The Standard Process nutrition science team adapted the “Colin Bar” into the Possible Bar. The Possible Bar is for all adventurers and athletes seeking to conquer their goals and nourish.”
Unlike most other bars on the market, which have a nutritional facts panel, the Possible Bar is a dietary supplement, explained Horneck.
“As a dietary supplement, the Possible Bar supports energy metabolism, muscle recovery, antioxidant activity, digestive health, immune support, and brain support. Food bars cannot make these same claims,” she said.
“Each ingredient was carefully selected to support various aspects of human performance – from plant-based protein with added branched chain amino acids for muscle recovery, to omega-3 fatty acids for brain health,” added Kristine Polley, PhD and nutrition scientist at the Standard Process Nutrition Innovation Center.
The product is formulated with:
• A 3:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein for muscle recovery: Carbohydrates are provided through a mix of complex and simple sources including honey, date syrup, EnergySmart, and rolled oats.
• Plant-based protein for muscle recovery: The plant-based protein is derived from pea protein concentrate, pumpkin seed protein, and buckwheat flour, and formulated with AminoBlast to deliver increased amounts of BCAAs
• Fiber for digestive health: High-intensity and prolonged physical activity can lead to increases in intestinal permeability that are associated with alterations in markers of inflammation. Also, higher protein diets in athletes may reduce microbial diversity. High-fiber diets support the GI barrier and digestion and absorption of nutrients.
• B vitamins for energy metabolism: The Possible Bar is formulated to contain B-vitamins that are essential to the functioning of energy metabolism, including: thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), vitamin B6, and pantothenic acid (B5).
• Healthy fats: The Possible Bar includes almond butter, which contains healthy fats such as monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats, as well as coconut oil, which contains over 50% of fat from medium chain triglycerides (MCTs).
Direct to consumer, but SP continues to be a health-care practitioner brand
The Possible Bar is the first and only product that Standard Process is selling directly to consumers. The product is available for consumers on possiblebar.com, Amazon.com, and eBay.
Asked if the bar marks a change in strategy for the company, Horneck said: “Standard Process continues to be a health-care practitioner brand. Our founder, Dr. Royal Lee, believed that each individual’s unique nutritional requirements are best evaluated through a consultation with a health care professional.”