Greg Norman was back home Saturday after the World Golf Hall of Famer went to the emergency room with COVID-19 symptoms Friday.
“To all my family, friends, fans and partners,” Norman captioned a picture on Instagram of him wearing a mask outside a home. “Thank you for your concerns, support and flood of special meaningful words of encouragement and love. I am home now after admitting myself to the ER yesterday, Christmas Day, with symptoms very suspicious to what I have read about relating to COVID.”
Norman recounted what he had said in a video message posted Thursday, that he had tested negative while playing in the PNC Championship in Orlando with his son Greg Jr., which ended Dec. 20. But Norman had started experiencing COVID-19 symptoms that included fever, headaches, muscle aches, and flulike symptoms. He said in his post Saturday that he had some of those but on a “lesser level.”
Norman said he had a chest X-ray and blood test “where 2 markers showed up leading the Doc to say, assume you are positive with these symptoms and markers.”
Norman is continuing quarantining at home.
“I do not have my PCR Covid test results as yet,” he wrote. “Hopefully in the next 24 hrs. Until I get 2 consecutive negative tests I will continue to isolate with my dog Apollo keeping me company.
“Again thank you all for your concerns love and support and please be safe, stay healthy and be smart. And let’s put this 2020 in our rearview mirrors and look to 2021 and beyond where we can get back to life in whatever the new normal will be. God bless you all.”
On Friday afternoon, Norman posted pictures on his Instagram showing himself in a hospital room.
“This sums it all up. My Christmas Day,” Norman captioned a photo with him in a mask. “On behalf of millions, (expletive) COVID. (Let’s) get this (stuff) behind us never to experience it again.”
Norman, 65, hosted the QBE Shootout at Tiburón Golf Club at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort in Naples from Dec. 9-13, then competed with his son Greg Jr. in the PNC Championship at Ritz-Carlton Golf Club Orlando from Dec. 17-20.
His son also posted Friday that he had COVID-19.
Norman posted a video message on his Instagram account on Thursday, Christmas Eve, in part saying he was experiencing symptoms of coronavirus, and was self-quarantining after getting off the phone with his doctor.
“Even though I had a test on Tuesday and the results came back (Wednesday) which was negative, I am exhibiting mild symptoms of potentially COVID,” he said. “I’m not too sure. I feel very flu-like, I have a mild fever, I have a cough, I have aches and pains, I have a mild headache. So I am in self-quarantine. Ugly place to be on Christmas Eve, but I just do not want to jeopardize affecting any of my family or friends or loved ones around me.”
Norman’s son posted Friday that both he and his fiancée Michelle had COVID-19.
On Saturday, Norman Jr. posted on Twitter that both of them were feeling “100%” and had not had symptoms for three days.
The elder Norman had hosted the Shootout, which features 24 PGA Tour players, and was won by Harris English and Matt Kuchar in record fashion.
The Shootout was held without fans, although a handful of Tiburón members attended after being screened, and some affiliated with title sponsor QBE Insurance also were in attendance, and had been tested.
Norman was once the No. 1 golfer in the world for 331 weeks, a record later broken by Tiger Woods. He has 88 international golf victories, including a pair of British Open championships.
Norman founded the QBE Shootout in the late 1980s, first playing it at Grand Cypress Resort in Orlando, then making it a PGA Tour event beginning in 1989 at Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California. It moved to Doral Resort in 2000 for one year, then moved to Tiburón, where he designed both courses, in 2001. The event has raised more than $14 million for CureSearch for Children’s Cancer and other charities.
This article originally appeared on Naples Daily News: Greg Norman back home after going to ER with COVID-19 symptoms